“Why am I under appreciated?” Feeling under appreciated is the cause of many broken relationships. It is also a mystery to most people.
It is hard to understand why other people can’t see the value in you. This is a common concern in the business world, and in family life. You deserve to have this question answered.
Why you are Under Appreciated
The blindness to your value is called inattentional blindness. That is a fancy way of saying, “you are being ignored.” This happens because of 2 primary reasons:
You are taken for granted.
- It is easy to not notice the little things people do. Especially when they always do them.
- It is also easy to overlook the massive benefits when they are common.
- The highly blessed can have the the worst ungrateful behavior.
You are too Occupied.
- You will miss really important details when you are too busy.
- There was a time that my relationship with my wife was in trouble, and I didn’t know it. I was too busy working. My assumption was “She knows I love her.”
How to Get Noticed
Notice the Other Person.
- You are not giving enough appreciation to other people.
- Reflecting on the value of others will change your perception.
- Prepare yourself to notice other people.
Break the Pattern
- Do something different to get the attention of the other person. A great idea is to set a meeting to discuss your feelings.
- Get squeaky. There is truth to the old adage, “the squeaky wheel gets the grease.”
- Don’t become negative when you are expressing your feelings.
- Attend communication classes. My wife and I have found a deeper love in attending classes together. She needs to know that I know the value of being a stay-at-home mom.
- You have to be intentional in discovering new ways to get noticed, and give notice.